Sunday, August 26, 2012

Interview with Rachel


I have made an interview with an author in our group Get Your Blog Followers.Her name is Rachel Hunter.


1.    How long have you been blogging?

I’ve been blogging at http://www.rachel-m-hunter.blogspot.com for a little over a year now. Ever since I received my first offer for a publishing contract, I decided I needed a space to record my experiences and the proceedings for the first publication of my novel, Empyreal Fate. Ever since, I’ve been posting updates and featuring fellow authors and artists. Also, one can find random shenanigans on my blog about topics that interest me in general. Be warned.

2.    What kind of topics are your favorites?

Besides topics that deal with writing and the like, I am fascinated about psychology and the workings of the human mind. For that matter, simply interviewing fellow authors intrigues me, for I feel as though I get to see a bit of the minds of those whom I question. It’s a magical experience – truly. But I could talk about anything, really: history, authors, science, politics, art… The world is mine to discover and discuss~

3.    Tell us a little about yourself, have you been studying online or offline to achieve your writing skills?

Ah - I am a reader, writer, and nursing student. I am both witty and stubborn, but mostly I'm shy and speculative. I often question the mysteries of this world, and I’m not afraid of the answers. But sometimes I think the answers are afraid of being told. What is Nature’s story? It certainly breathes beauty, and I like to spend as much time with it as I can: hiking, kayaking, scaling mountains, or simply walking. The Muse follows me wherever I go – no matter what natural ventures I take - but sometimes it’s elusive and tries to hide. It is while in this interim of “self-searching” that I often compose my favorite works of art: most of them in thought. But it’s all relative, I suppose. Mostly, I am me. Simply and succinct.

As far as ‘writing skills’, I don’t study them, per se. I write what the Muse compels me to write. It isn’t the same style every day. Simply put, I don’t think writing should be studied. As with breathing, it should come naturally.


4.    Tell us about the TV interview from Oklahoma.

Oh, yes! Not too long ago, I had the pleasure of being interviewed on a local television show, Oklahoma Live!, hosted by Owen Pickard and Mrs. Oklahoma, regarding my various publications (including Empyreal Fate). It was a great experience, and I had a marvelous time sitting on-stage as the show was filmed and answering questions when my turn came around. Unfortunately, I didn't know any of the questions beforehand, so my answers were quite impromptu and not as thorough as I normally would have made them. Also, I was cut off at one point while talking about Rhothdyn, the king of man, but I believe it was simply due to time constraints. All the same, I was delighted and honored to be featured, and I would like to share with you the link to the interview: Oklahoma Live! Interview: Author Rachel Hunter


5.    What other reasons than Star Wars made you fall in love with the Science Fiction category?

I breathe words (whether for Science Fiction or not), so I truly think the adoration lies in my genes. Ever since I was but a child, I’ve wanted to write. It began with reading. My father read to me often, and the fascination with winding vibrant tales thus began. In fact, I started writing before I could even spell my own name! Curious, is it not? But I remember – quite vividly – when I would sit down (stand… I don’t like sitting), and I would think of a story I wanted to write, and then I would ask my parents how to spell each and every word. It was painstaking – let me tell you - but that’s where it all began. I would say I wanted to write since the womb, but, in truth, childhood hits the mark. And it wasn’t just Star Wars that sparked that desire.


6.    Tell us about a specific travel experience that has made an impact on you.

Well, I’ve recently returned from a trip to Washington D.C., and I found it quite fascinating to learn more about the workings of our country and how our government has evolved. I could create some interesting stories with a speculative twist based on the various memorials and presidential histories… *grins* Who knows?

7.    The future of blogging overall including BlogTalkRadio, VideoBlogging and evolvement around this, what are your views on this?

I tend to be quite shy about such things, personally, but after having been on a television interview, I see how beneficial such promotional strategies can be. I’ve noticed that video blogging, radio shows, and other features have been gaining more prominence for writers as of late, and I’ve also noticed that a wide audience has been recently attracted to them. Therefore, I feel as though the future looks promising for such mediums of promotion – especially with increasing technology and access to it.
                                                                                                                        

8.    Finally, do you find it easy to network and interact with other authors on social sites?

Definitely! As I mentioned above, I’ve noticed that technological mediums and sites (including social media) have been expanding, and I have made many new contacts via similar functions. More people are gaining access to social media every day, whether through sites like Facebook or Twitter – to even personal blogs and webpages. Speaking of which, you can find my website here: http://www.rachel-m-hunter.yolasite.com. Also, feel free to connect with me via any other sites, which I will list below.

See? Interacting online is easy. One merely has to know where to look. ;)  


Hydra Publications: http://www.hydrapublications.com/empyreal-fate/

3 comments:

Dena Hamilton said...

I really enjoyed this interview. As a writer, it was a true pleasure to hear from someone who "gets it". Either you are a writer or you are not. It not something that is taught or even something you just do. It is something you ARE. Thank you, Rachel and thank you, Mattias fro sharing this.

Mattias Kroon said...

Thanks Dena!

I really appreciate that you stopped by and enjoyed the interview.Yes, a good writer is a good writer mainly from the personality.

Anna L. Walls said...

"I often question the mysteries of this world, and I’m not afraid of the answers. But sometimes I think the answers are afraid of being told." I love that phrase - it's so true.

Congrats on your TV interview. It must have been quite an adventure.